Although Social Media continues to be the hot favorite marketing platform for online businesses, Email Marketing is still one of the most personal and effective ways to reach your target audience.
However, not every business is able to get the most out of email marketing. Since startups are new to business, they lack the time & resources to know the ropes of email marketing. After a few sub-optimal efforts, they tend to get demotivated and conclude that their emails just don’t work.
Here are 5 actionable tips startups can use to improve the ROI on their email marketing campaigns, and grow their business faster.
1. Know Your Audience
The first step in Email marketing is to clearly know your target audience. Here’s a list of 3 things you must know about your target customers:
- Who they are (age, gender, location, industry, role, demographics, and more).
- What are their pain points
- What do they buy, where from, why and how (online/offline)
Try to get as much detailed information as possible. This will help you segment your target customers later and craft highly personalized email campaigns
2. Craft highly clickworthy subject lines
Subject line is probably the most important success factor of your email marketing campaign. In fact, 33% of emails are opened, based on subject lines alone. A good subject line stands out in your recipient’s inbox and compels them to open it. If people don’t read your emails, then it defeats the purpose of your email marketing campaign.
Here are 7 tips to craft killer email subject lines:
- Keep it short and concise
- Mention the benefit upfront. For example, a subject line such as “Grow Sales by 25% in 1 Week” is better than “Learn how to grow sales”
- Make it actionable. Tell users what you expect them to do after reading your email. For example, “Summer Shoe Sale! Free Shipping expires in 2 days!” is more actionable than “Summer Shoe Sale! Get amazing offers!”
- Personalize the subject line – using recipient’s name, company or role
- Avoid using spammy keywords. Otherwise your email will be flagged as spam by the email services and never reach any inbox. There are many free online email spam checkers you can use to check if your email content is spammy or not.
3. Compose a Concise Email Message
Did you know that 53% of emails are viewed on mobile phones? So it’s important to write short email messages that people can read quickly without having to scroll a lot on their phones.
Here are 5 tips you can use to craft a concise email:
- Use short sentences and simple words
- Use bullet points whenever possible
- Use active voice
- Break your email content into paragraphs of 2-3 lines each
- If you need to provide details, simply add a link to the relevant page with details.
The most important point to keep in mind is to ensure that your email body delivers what your email subject line promises in the first place. Otherwise, you’ll lose your audience’s trust and they will stop opening your emails.
4. Personalize your email
One of the most important advantages of Email marketing is that it allows you to personalize your message to suite your target audience. In fact, personalized emails drive 6X transaction rates! Here are 5 ways you can personalize your emails:
- Ask for additional data (name, organization, role, interests, etc) when you sign up new subscribers & users. Otherwise, you won’t know much about your mailing list, and it will be difficult to personalize your emails.
- Use the above information to segment users. For example, you can group users based on their location, interests, age, or any other information that you have collected above.
- Create personalized email messages for each user segment, with relevant content to maximize engagement. For example, you can mail Dallas-based users about nearby events and expos this weekend.
- Send automated emails for each user segment created above, and triggered emails based on user behavior (e.g email people who browsed nike shoes on your site)
5. Do A/B Testing
A/B testing is one of the most effective ways to improve email marketing. A/B testing allows you to send multiple variations of your emails and allows you to measure the open rates and click rates of each variation. This enables you to pick the top performing email copy and quickly optimize your email marketing campaign.
Here are 3 tips to do A/B testing:
- Test only 1 variable at a time. It can be your email subject line, call-to-action button, or any other aspect of your email campaign
- Split your sample group randomly to avoid any bias in your experiment results
- Test minor changes (such as a different font size) as well.
Email marketing is an effective way for startups to reach their target audience, engage them meaningfully and drive more leads for their business. The key is to know your target audience, craft a short and simple email that is highly relevant to each recipient, and use A/B testing to track campaign performance. This will ensure that more people read your emails, boost the ROI of your email campaigns and grow your business faster.