An On-page SEO checklist makes it super easy to plan and implement on-site SEO activities for your website and blog. Do you want to improve your search engine ranking and drive more visitors to your website? Here’s an On-Page SEO Checklist that can help you bring more organic search traffic, improve conversion rates and grow your business faster.
Today, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) consists of 2 parts – On-page SEO and Off-page SEO. Google considers more than 200 SEO Factors before it ranks a page. Before we begin, let’s understand what is on-page seo and how it’s different from off-page SEO.
What is On-Page SEO?
On-Page SEO activities refer to optimizing and improving individual web pages on your website so that they rank higher on search engines and drive more visitors to your website. It includes optimizing both content and HTML source code of your web pages in order to help search engines understand them better.
What is the difference between On-Page SEO & Off-Page SEO?
Off-Page SEO is the act of measuring and optimizing the SEO Factors outside your website, such as the number and quality of backlinks to your website. It involves building high-quality backlinks to your website by promoting your content and building relationships. On-page SEO activities refers to optimizing your webpages on your site to improve search engine results whereas off-page refers to building backlinks to your website through off site activities such as content promotion and brand building.
Checkout our list of best backlink checker tools to analyze the backlinks to your website.
On-Page SEO Checklist for Perfectly Optimized Page
Here’s an On-Page SEO Checklist for 2017 that you can use to optimize your website pages and improve search engine rankings. Check out the On-Page SEO Techniques and Factors to create the perfect optimized page for your website.
- Target Keywords: Optimize your page for the right keyword. If you choose the wrong keyword, or a low traffic/high competition keyword, it’s very likely that your page will not drive visitors. Check out our list of top keyword tools to target the right keywords. Choose one to two target keywords or phrases for each page. If you’re trying to rank for more than 2 keywords or phrases, break up your content into different pieces so that you can focus on 1-2 keywords per page. You can also read our Complete Guide about How to Do Keyword Research for SEO.
- Title Tag: Include Target search phrase in page title. Learn how to do SEO for Title Tags.
- Heading: Include target phrase in page headline. In most content management and blogging platforms, the page title is used as page headline.
- Sub heading: Include Target search keyword or phrase in at least one sub heading (in h2,h3, etc)
- Page URL: Include Target search phrase in page url
- Body: Include target keyword phrase 3-10 times in your body. Don’t overdo it. Else your page will be downgraded as spam. You can include them 1-2 times in each paragraph to avoid cramming them in one place.
- Long-tail keywords: Include 3-4 long tail keywords in your body. 70% of search queries are using long-tail keywords. Checkout our list of top long-tail keyword research tools to find the right long-tail keywords for your page.
- LSI Keywords : Also include 3-4 LSI Keywords (Semantic Keywords) that are semantically related to your target keyword phrases. Here’s the complete guide to LSI keywords that you can use to find semantic keywords for your main keyword and include them in your content.
- Paragraphs: Try to use target keyword or phrase in the first sentence of your paragraph. Also try using them in the beginning of your sentence.
- Keyword Density: Ensure your keyword density is about 1-1.5%. It’s fine if keyword density is less than 1% as long as your content is relevant to target keyword. If you use WordPress, you can use the Yoast Plugin to check the keyword density. You can check out our list of Best Free Keyword Density Tools to calculate keyword density for your web pages.
- Images: Include relevant images and/or illustrations that are relevant to target keyword or phrase. Image file names should be relevant to the image and need not contain target search phrase.
- Alt tags: Include target search phrase in your Image’s alt tags. This will optimize images for SEO.
- Videos: It’s also important to optimize any videos that are present on your page so that they rank better. Include keyword phrases and terms in the title & meta description of the videos on your page, as well as in the video transcription, if any. Video SEO is quite different from regular SEO and involves different SEO techniques altogether. Here’s our list of 8 Video SEO Tips to optimize videos for search engines. If you’re using YouTube videos on your page, also do YouTube SEO to improve search ranking of videos on YouTube & Google Search.
- Local SEO Optimization: If you’re optimizing for a location such as a country, state, city or province (e.g California or San Francisco), use it in your body. Here’s our detailed step-by-step Complete Guide to do Local SEO Optimization for your business.
- Social Sharing Icons: Include social media sharing icons on your page. Social media sharing is still an important SEO Factor for Google.
- User Comments: Enable user discussion or comments on your page. Pages with active user interaction rank higher than static pages.
- Ensure the page title is less than 70 characters long, else it will be truncated by Google.
- Meta Description: Include target search phrase in your meta description, and make it clickworthy. Pages that get more clicks tend to rank higher. Check out our list of Free Best SEO Audit Tools to perform SEO Audit for your website including Meta Tags and content quality.
- Internal Links: Add relevant outbound internal links from your your page to other web pages on your website. Similarly, add relevant inbound links from other parts of your website to your page. This will make it easier for search bots to crawl your page and categorize it properly. To Avoid Google penalty, don’t add more than 100 links on a single page.
- Mobile ready: Ensure that your web pages are mobile-friendly. Google provides an amazing free tool called PageSpeed Insights to check if your web pages are mobile friendly. Learn how to use mobile SEO to optimize your website for mobile devices. You can also create Accelerated Mobile Pages for your website, that load amazingly fast on mobiles and rank higher.
- Good Content: Create high-quality, relevant and unique content at least 500 words long. Use plagiarism checkers like CopyScape to ensure that your content is unique. It’s fine if you copy a couple of para across your own web pages while referencing them. Just don’t copy content from other websites, as much as possible. If you do, then provide a link back to the original website. This will tell search engines that you’re referencing their content and not copying it. Learn how URL Canonicalization can boost search ranking by fixing duplicate content issues
- User experience: Keep the content reader-friendly. Don’t cram too many keywords in it else readers will bounce off your website quickly. This will decrease “time on site” SEO factor and your web page will be downgraded. If you reduce bounce rate and keep visitors longer on your website, then your pages will rank higher.
Check out our list of SEO Analysis Tools to analyze your website for free.
Hopefully, the above On-Page SEO Checklist for 2017 will help you create perfectly optimized web pages, boost search engine ranking and drive more visitors to your website. You can use free on-page SEO checker tools such as SEO analysis tool to find out what on-page SEO optimization you need to perform for your site.
Also, check out our Off-Page SEO Checklist for SEO Techniques & Tips to improve search engine ranking.
If you have any On-Page SEO techniques and tips to share, please provide them as comments.
- 5 Ways Startups can Grow Business with Web Notifications - April 24, 2018
- 5 Actionable Tips for Marketing to Millennials - April 24, 2018
- 6 Ways Startups Can Use Instagram To Grow Their Business - April 24, 2018
- 5 SEO Tips Entrepreneurs Can Use to Grow Their Business - April 24, 2018
- 5 Email Marketing Tips for Startups to Grow Faster - April 24, 2018